Indian spices have a global popularity. They become the distinctive feature of Indian cuisine. Along with giving exotic flavour to the dishes, the spices have many nutritional and medicinal values. Every Indian cooking uses at least two or three different spices and so does Akshaya Patra. Here are the nutritional facts of some of the spices used in Akshaya Patra kitchen to prepare the mid-day meal.
- Spices like turmeric, mustard, cumin, coriander, black pepper and chilli are good source of various minerals like Calcium, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, magnesium and vitamins, B-complex vitamins, selenium, phosphorus, omega3 and omega6-fatty acids.
- These spices in general also have the properties of anti-inflammatory (painkiller), anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-carcinogenic.
- Spices are good source of dietary fibre and they do not contain cholesterol.
- Spice like turmeric is a natural antiseptic.
- Cumin in particular has sleep inducing property and also acts as relaxant. It helps in digestion, treatment of diseases like asthma, arthritis. It improves memory and overall mental function, and helps in recovery from amnesia.
- Black pepper helps the body remove harmful free radicals and help protect from cancers and diseases.